Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Procrastination!

My mind is going 250 miles per hour. I totally forgot about a friend's Arbonne party lst night. I feel like such an ass. Two weekends ago I forgot about a birthday party that my 4 year old was invited to. On Sunday morning I forgot to call a friend back to tell her I couldn't go to our SCA meeting and she was waiting for me. *sigh* WHY can't I remember these things? It's not that I am not remembering the actual events, it's that I totally get caught in some time/space continum! I even have my cell phone set to remind me of shit but 10 minutes after it reminds me, I forget it. What the hell is the point? I don't forget, I think I put it off. I am a procrastinator. I hate being a procrastinator. I have always been one. In High School I'd wait until the night before to write all my papers and do homework. I did great with that. That was my system. It flowed over to college. I procrastinated, crammed the night before and came through with shining colors. It worked for High School and college. WHY can't it work in 'real life'?
Procrastination does NOT work in motherhood. It just doesn't. Kids have schedules and need some sort of routine. I don't procrastinate with their routine. I have that set into the grid of my day. It's the 'extras' that I am having a hard time finding a slot for. (In my memory grid, that is.)
I have always lived in the moment. I don't look ahead to things and I rarely look back. I am always RIGHT here and I think that is a major problem too. I need to be able to be HERE and NOW and also look ahead to activities and events that I need to focus on and prepare for. I do a LOT of stuff. I'll admit it. I do.
My friend and I do a fair share of the Baronial events for our SCA group and we worked great together, always calling and reminding eachother to do various stuff. She's a procrastinator too. HAHA!!! We love company! ;) I need my own friggin secretary who follows me around with a notepad and a cell phone. That's exactly what I need! I need someone with a cattle prod to shock my ass once in a while to say "HEY! PAY ATTENTION!" or "GET your ass MOVING!" I do well with last minute stuff. I live for it. I think this is why I love organizing the SCA events. Most of the preparation and organizing is done at the LAST MINUTE because that's when everyone is all together in one place ready to get the event started. I crave it, the stress, the running arond and the last minute preparations. ALL SCAdians are procrastinators!
In my daily routine, I hate it. I am bound by 2 grids. A clock and a calendar. I would love to be free of both, to just do what I do as I get to it.
ARGH!!!!!!

4 comments:

Elizabeth K. King said...

I CAN TOTALLY RELATE. I still say there is something to be said about living like a hermit, and only emerging when YOU want to!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Most the things I forget seem more like obligations, rather than something I would choose to spend my "free" time doing. Also, if it's not "lucas' related. I usually forget too.
You need to clear your schedule during this busy time and breath!

Artful Creations by Tracie said...

Ok so it's not just me! I am the world's biggest procrastinator, in fact I put the PRO in it!!!! Bahahahahaha!!!

In any event, you are right about the kids, they are on schedule, and we stick to it. I also think part of my issue is time management. I do like working under pressure, it's a thrill to say the least.

Anonymous said...

I find that if I procrastinate that I can't function. I am usually so ahead of the game that when I am not, I fall to pieces. That being said, I work very well under pressure. Two years ago I tried flylady for a while and took a couple of things from her. 1) Do things in 5 minute increments. Makes a long tedious job not half as bad. 2) Put everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on a calendar. I live by my Yahoo calendar. With as much as I'm on the computer, having things pop up at me at my set intervals makes it so much easier. When buying gifts, I buy tons at one time so I have them at home waiting instead of doing it birthday by birthday. I buy cards or make them, by the bulk and have them at the ready so I don't have to hurry and get one when I need it. It's the little things Gabz that make your life easier.